Monday, January 29, 2007

Love/Hate


The Love/Hate is a month old now and it turns out that the name is spot on.

Dialled Bikes make it - see the link above. It is a no nonsense steel frame, butted Reynolds 520 tubing, so reasonable quality, but not bling enough to make me cry when I drop it. It has a lovely baby blue paint job which seems pretty thick after the Inbred's 'fart and it'll fall off' paint job. I built it up one December evening in an hour and a half! Aren't simple bikes great? It got all the same bits tansferred from the Inbred apart from a new SKF bottom bracket and a Chris King headset that has been sat in my spares box for more than a year.

First impressions from riding it around the street where I live were to prove quite accurate. It's a sprightly creature, turning eagerly and sharply, although it feels quite planted and solid. The front end lifts nicely and the top tube seems noticeably shorter than the Inbred. I was a bit concerned about how it would handle on steep ups and rocky drops... I was to find out quite soon.

No comments: