Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Not the 3 Peaks

I mentioned earlier about my injured thumb, nothing serious really, just a badly druised (or maybe cracked) knuckle. It meant that I couldn't brake from the drops without wincing. A very minor problem for most people, but for someone planning to do the 3 Peaks, a show stopper.

I rested it a week, then last Friday evening (2 days before the race) I took the cross bike out for a spin round the local trails. The first descent, a fairly tame rocky track down the side of the golf course, had my eyes watering with the pain in my knuckle. At least I didn't have to agonise over whether or not I should do the race - it was a clear 'no way'. Disappointed, I trudged back home and put the bike away. No 3 Peaks for me this year.

My friend Dan did compete though, he managed 4:44, a good result. I usually beat him by a good margin, so this was even more galling. I read a few accounts of the race on singletrackworld today and felt even more gutted. I missed a good 'un it seems.

There's always next year...

No comments: