Friday, October 06, 2006

Wet fun in the dark

Well, I did drag myself out into the rainy Peak district night. It all started badly though - I've got 3 lumicycle lights, and I usually use one as a helmet mounted light and one on the bars (the bar mounted one is a 40w thing for use on technical stuff, the helmet light is 14w and is used all the time). The third one is my commuter light. I knew two of them weren't working - the wiring looms had gone after a couple of years hard use, I was 'just getting round' to replacing them, but one helmet mounted 40w spot is more than adequate.

Just about to set off and I find that my final working light is goosed. Quick call to Gavin and he brings over a home made SLED light, made to Robdeanhove's specification (he is the master of home made super bright SLEDs).

I chase Gavin down the Sett Valley trail to our meet up point in Hayfield. Gavin has 2 settings - 'stop' and 'flat-out', he is frighteningly fit and should really stay in more and eat pies. Amazingly, 2 more have turned out on this wet and windy night, so the 4 of us set off up into the cloud and rain. Even better, we're all on singlespeeds, so that makes the ride flow nicely. I find that I have got a broken saddle - the rails have cracked giving the saddle a jaunty tilt and an odd saggy feeling. I'll just have to stand up a bit more.

Despite the amount of rain, the trails are still pretty dry. I guess the dry summer means the Peak is still a big sponge soaking up the water. The streams are swollen though, and Rich manages to plunge his leg into one well over the top of his winter boots filling them up. Apparently they hold water really well. As always, the rain is much worse when you're contemplating it than when you are out in it.

I'm doing the Hope Valley MTB Challenge tomorrow.

No comments: